Wednesday, August 31, 2005

Current Status

Thanks to everyone for your support and concern, it helps a lot.

Here's what I know so far:
As of Sunday my mom and little brother were going to a local shelter. If it was full, they were going to an aunt's place in Alabama. I've spoken to that aunt now, and she says my mom never showed up, so that means she went to the shelter. I don't know which shelter, and how the shelters fared in the storm. I'm operating under the assumption that they're OK, my mom being the ultimate survivor, and my little brother being the craftiest 14 year-old ever, but their home and car is long gone (which is everything they own).

Alternately, I'm freaking the fuck out.

Also: one aunt and uncle evacuated in Montgomery. Two cousins made it to Texas. Another cousin in northern Mississippi. All homes and apartments lost.

Are all of your people OK?

1 comment:

clayton cubitt said...

My friend from high school lost her house & everything in it. But so did everyone. She is alive and well.

Prayers are with you.

posted by: gwynne on 9/1/2005 9:58:30 AM

----

From a million miles away, in a small town in NZ where nothing seems to happen, my thoughts are for you and my eyes well reading what you write.
I can't imagine what you feel but i want to thank you for putting it on a public forum. It gives me a better perspective than anything we see on tv. The fuckshots too of course, i wouldn't learn about destruction in the south if it wasn't for those...
Best wishes and i hope you hear from your family soon.

posted by: the_number on 9/1/2005 4:33:45 AM

----

I'm checking back here every day to see how your family is. and how YOU are doing. All the best regards, thoughts, wishes, prayers for you.

posted by: vivazoya on 9/1/2005 1:59:58 AM

----

You and your family have been in my thoughts.

Here in California, I feel so removed. We complain cuz it's too hot and we hear news of the winds tearing through somewhere, someplace apart from our own lives. Sometimes you need someone to be scared for to make it real, y'know?

I'd prefer no danger at all, of course, but if there's gotta be a situation, I wanna be there with everyone else, helping them any way I can.

posted by: bubblebobbled on 9/1/2005 1:47:01 AM

----

Un abrazo, Siege

posted by: pmiguel on 9/1/2005 12:46:43 AM

----

Aunt & uncle in Hattiesburg alive and well w/ house intact, although their employer was blown away.

Friends in Hattiesburg attending USM evacuated to Meridian and called saying they were OK.

1 of 2 cousins in Picayune lost their home & job and apparently decided to relocate here to Pensacola (personally, if I had just lost everything i'd move someplace without hurricanes.) She's driving in tonight with her infant child.

The other cousin is still missing and no one has heard from him in about a week. He was dating a girl in Gulfport (demolished) and someone thinks they spotted him in the Quarter the night before the storm.

I haven't located any of my friends living in the quarter, Metarie, or Gretna.

If there is anyone in the Gulf Coast region with extra room in their house, the Crestview Chamber of Commerce is gathering a list of ``Open Homes'' where you can house a LA or MS refugee. They can be contacted at 850-682-3212.

posted by: oh_theshocker on 9/1/2005 12:29:06 AM