Sunday, September 04, 2005

A Bad Update

It's now been exactly one week since I heard from my mom.

I thought I had a good lead on which shelter she and my little brother may have gone to. All hope was pinned on Hattiesburg. My aunt Lorraine in Alabama finally got through to that shelter and they told her my mom had not been there. Now drifting away, all that hope needs a new home. My aunt Susan left earlier today to see what she can see. My aunt Lorraine left a little later to see what she can see. They're going into a no man's land of confusion and disarray and doubt. A Court of Two Sisters.

It's as if they're going into a different dimension, a black hole. Will they return? And if so, will they be bearing good news or bad? Will they tell me we need to rebuild my mom's meager home, but that she's healthy and safe? Or....

I can't think of the "or" for very long right now.

My aunt Lorraine begged me to stay put until she gets back on Wednesday. I don't think I'm physically able to obey. This is what I think: I think I grab my girl and we fly into Birmingham as early as possible. We rent an SUV and purchase extra gas cans, water, flashlights, clothing, food, a chainsaw and a gun. In Alabama, I should be able to get all that at your average convenience store. Maybe even in the airport gift shop.

Then I grab my girl and all this stuff and we descend into Mississippi and start going from shelter to shelter, looking for my mom and little brother, making our way deeper into the state, and closer to home, until we find them and live happily ever after.

Because at this point I have less than no faith that my government can take care of my people. This is it, friends. It's every man for himself, and no lifelines out of the black hole in modern America. Pull yourself up by your bootstraps, a faith-based relief effort as soon as vacation's over.

So, it looks like Monday night or early Tuesday morning I'll be heading for my Gulf, to see what I can see.

1 comment:

clayton cubitt said...

dirtwood- I could use some more info on gas availability down there, and the state of the roads, as far as roadblocks might be concerned. email me, please, siege@nerve.com

posted by: siege on 9/6/2005 9:37:43 PM

----

If you come through Eufaula(AL.) or if you are going through Montgomery just yell out.I'll bring you a gun if you need it (and you very well might) Sorry I didn't see this sooner. Been in Missouri visiting my new and first granddaughter.

posted by: dirtwood on 9/6/2005 4:22:38 PM

----

Siege - have you found them?

posted by: pattilabelle on 9/5/2005 3:37:08 AM

----

Siege, Bless you & the best of luck. Thank you for all the pleasure & joy you've given us. Bless your Mom & keep your Mom.

posted by: delapena on 9/5/2005 12:57:28 AM

----

Siege, if you go, leave the gun and take the camera. Doesn't matter which one, take a cheap one if you think some one will steal your stuff! You can shoot straight with any piece of shit. Show the world what the hell is going on. Truth will kill the demons running this hellhole.

posted by: bthree on 9/4/2005 9:40:04 PM

----

Good luck man, thinking of you

posted by: captain_querc on 9/4/2005 7:22:00 PM
nerve personals profile: captain_querc

----

i wish i could come with you and lend a hand, man. . . . an extra set of eyes, an extra set of hands. . . hell, even an extra gun if it came down to that.

take care.

posted by: drsoma765a on 9/4/2005 6:37:47 PM

----

Good luck.... I'm thinming or y'all. xox M

posted by: girlbrainiac on 9/4/2005 3:30:13 PM

----

My folks left South Caroliina two days ago with their church to provide disaster relief in Columbia, MS. They left before I could talk to them, but I left them a message to keep an eye out for your mom and brother. I haven't heard back from them yet, and now I know how you feel about your aunts descending into that maelstrom. Good luck on your journey, and my thoughts are with you.

Kim

posted by: on 9/4/2005 2:42:34 PM
nerve personals profile: kimberly42

----

good luck, keep safe, and stay hopeful. we will all have you in our thoughts.

-sabrina

posted by: sek42 on 9/4/2005 2:09:51 PM

----

Best of Luck.
All thoughts and prayers

posted by: e_private on 9/4/2005 1:47:22 PM

----

All the best, man. I can't imagine what you're going through now. The agony of not knowing what's happened to your loved ones is the absolute worst. Keep us posted, alright?

posted by: ro4b on 9/4/2005 12:56:26 PM

----

Good luck Seige. Know that we're all with you on this one. If you need anything, just holler

be careful...

posted by: oracle347 on 9/4/2005 8:13:20 AM

----

goodluck. goodluck. goodluck. goodluck. goodluck. goodluck. goodluck. goodluck. goodluck. goodluck. goodluck. goodluck. goodluck. goodluck. goodluck. goodluck. goodluck. goodluck. goodluck. goodluck. goodluck. goodluck. goodluck. goodluck. goodluck. goodluck. goodluck. goodluck. goodluck. goodluck. I don't know what else to say. Be careful.

posted by: otherguy83 on 9/4/2005 7:45:14 AM

----

Good luck, Siege. I can see your sisters' point about you not needing to go, but if you feel strongly compelled, then you do what your heart tells you. We are all feeling for you. For those of us without direct ties to New Orleans/Mississippi, you are our tie, and we have been deeply concerned for your family. As you said, it is utter chaos down there. There is every reason to believe that she and your brother are at a shelter but cannot get a working phone signal out. You are a good son to her. Your reminiscence about her, her sister, and you and Fats Domino was poetic and moving. Godspeed if you go down there.
Love and support,
Richard in Portland, Oregon


posted by: apollodionyssus on 9/4/2005 7:09:04 AM

----

Best of luck in finding your family. My brother and sister-in-law were able to get out of New Orleans and arrived at my home yesterday afternoon. It was a great relief to have them close to me. I can't imagine not knowing what has happened to a family member. You're right to go. To say the government has mishandled this whole disaster is the most outrageous understatement.

posted by: needledoc on 9/4/2005 6:28:34 AM