Thursday, September 01, 2005

Before And After


The highlighted address is the escrow company in Bay St. Louis Mississippi that I used when buying my mom's home, which is about four miles away.

When I was a child we would go to these beaches and walk out on the silt sandbars. We could walk for what felt like miles out into the warm Gulf, and the water would still only be up to our waists.

We would look around, and the tiny strip of land behind us seemed so far away, like we were living in a world of water.

1 comment:

clayton cubitt said...

I cannot begin to say how well I understand your feelings.

I am a native of New Orleans, and spent all of my childhood summers on the Mississippi coast. My father's family had a place in Waveland. One aunt lived in an old house next to the railroad bridge in Bay St. Louis, and another aunt and my grandmother lived in Pass Christian.
They were all driven out by Camille, and now the same is happening again, only worse.
And while I could not stand living in the New Orleans weather and find summers too hot up here in New York's Finger Lakes, I am driven to tears by the sights coming from the city and the gulf coast.

posted by: cdga on 9/1/2005 8:51:52 PM