Tuesday, September 06, 2005

Operation Eden


some of the prints for sale

So, here's the first step. Tomorrow I'm flying down to Birmingham, renting a car, stocking up on supplies and extra gas, and heading for my family.

Things I know about: they've been surviving on MRE's the National Guard brought in, and whatever they could scrounge from local groceries, on ice. My aunt has less than $100 cash, my mom less than $50. Nobody's got credit. My aunt's car is gone, my mom's still works, and is running on gas she got from the Guard. They've been forced to decide between using their drinking water to drink, or to shower with. Phones are sporadic, power more so. Most roads are clear, and relatively safe. My mom's armed, so she can take care of herself till we get there (seriously, I've seen her shoot a rattlesnake in half from twenty paces. You think I'm joking.)

I'm going to try my best to update here while I'm away, so you can see what's going on from an insider's perspective, and see the places and people that I'm fighting for. But I don't know how easy it'll be to do. I'll try my best.

Here's one way you can help me help them. I'm authorizing an edition of prints of my work, and all the profits (after small printing costs) are going to help rebuild my family. I'm calling it Operation Eden, after my mom's affectionate name for her lost home. I've selected a range of images, from erotica to fashion to scenics, over forty images in all, available in three sizes (5x7, 8x10, 11x14), priced from $50 to $150. I think there's something in there for everybody. Even grandmas. I always get tons of requests for prints, so here's your chance, and it goes to a good cause at the same time. Normally, prints are editioned based on the number printed, like 25 or 50 or 100. This will be a little different. I'm going to leave the edition open for two weeks, order as many as you're going to order, then I'm closing it. That'll be it for these images, in these sizes. When it's closed I'll post the number sold of each image, and you'll know what your edition is. I never sell prints, so here's your chance to own a piece of Siege, perverts. Feel free to forward the link to your friends, post to blogs, whatever.

Buy prints here


Also, some of my sinner saint friends are working on setting up an auction of cool shit they've donated, that should be up next week, and if you just want to donate a little bit of couch change, Nerve's going to be posting a Paypal donate button in the next couple of days. Otherwise, just keeping us in your thoughts is also greatly appreciated.

So, I'm off. I'm going to see things that will break my heart. But I'm hoping I'll also see things that will give me hope for the future. With luck, this time next year my mom will be hosting a huge Cajun crawfish boil at her new place, and you'll all be invited.

Stay tuned, and wish us luck...

Update: All the relief efforts for my family can be found here: Operation Eden

1 comment:

clayton cubitt said...

Good luck, brother. We're with you.

posted by: maejane on 9/7/2005 4:23:47 PM

----

Siege

I've waited for the day you put some prints for sale. I really hope my donation helps your family rebuild their lives. I’m new to the world of photography and one question comes to mind. I want to pick a few of these prints up but not sure on if I want Glossy or Matte. I understand what each means but I don't necessarily know which one is better suited for your work. Can you, or anyone help?

posted by: rivers739 on 9/7/2005 3:40:33 PM

----

Yay! The sugar factory! And two milk maids as well. All the best to you Siege. Tough times ahead, but with your family together, you can stay strong.

posted by: kopaylopa on 9/7/2005 2:52:35 PM

----

Add me to the "I killed me a rattler" club. I felt so butch, I skinned and tanned the hide, too.

Take this attitute with you and go kick Katrina's ass, S.

posted by: shortyellowskirt on 9/7/2005 11:40:41 AM

----

thank you so much, i'm off...

and, yes, Fotki does ship to Australia.

I think there should be a list of international countries on checkout.

thanks again.

posted by: siege on 9/7/2005 10:37:11 AM

----

Siege, I just bought a print for $50; wish I could do more. Tell your mom that this redneck survivorqueen once killed a copperhead with a machete. You all will be okay. Wish I could attend the party next year.-als777

posted by: survivorqueen on 9/7/2005 10:36:25 AM

----

good luck and god speed siege...

posted by: vonbek1 on 9/7/2005 10:03:38 AM


----

And while I'm at it... will Fotki ship to Australia?

Thx.

posted by: kel80c on 9/7/2005 5:36:32 AM


----

I've been watching the crisis in New Orleans unfold from the safety of Sydney, so far removed from the tragedy that it seems like an outtake from one of those awful disaster movies.

Having just moved house meant I had no internet at home for the last week and a half so this is the first time I've been able to log onto the daily siege since 26/9. Your writing has really brought it home to me what this means... breaks it down to a comprehensible level. My heart is breaking to think of all of those people, people without someone like you to come rescue them.

Siege, good luck. In fact, have all the hope I can muster too.

posted by: kel80c on 9/7/2005 5:32:13 AM